Daily Archives: February 21, 2013

Ultra Electronics Maritime Systems Awarded Maintenance Contract for Canadian Submarine Sonars

Submarine Image Gallery

Canadian submarine HMCS Chicoutimi in heavy seas

DARTMOUTH, NOVA SCOTIA- – Ultra Electronics Maritime Systems Inc (UEMS) (LSE:ULE) is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a contract to provide services for the ongoing maintenance of the Royal Canadian Navy’s submarine towed array sonars. The towed array sonars are the principal long range underwater sensor for the submarines. Under the contract, UEMS will be responsible for repairing and refurbishing the towed arrays as well as updating obsolete components and technology. The contract has a total value of $6.96M (CAD).

Dan Simard, UEMS’s Director Business Development, stated “We welcome this opportunity to continue our work for the Royal Canadian Navy and to contribute to the operational effectiveness of Canada’s submarines.”

Ultra Electronics Maritime Systems Inc. (UEMS)

ABOUT ULTRA ELECTRONICS MARITIME SYSTEMS

Ultra Electronics Maritime Systems Inc (UEMS) is an international leader in the development of equipment and systems for undersea surveillance and anti-submarine warfare (ASW). Established in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada in 1947, UEMS delivers sophisticated sonar systems to navies around the world including Multi-static Active Passive Sonar for the Dutch Navy, Integrated Sonar Suite for the Royal Australian Navy, and the Surface Ship Torpedo Defence System for the Royal Navy. UEMS provides unique engineering, development, manufacturing, test, evaluation, and management capabilities to develop and deliver advanced electronic, electromechanical, and underwater sensor systems for military applications.

Source – Market Wire

 

Advertisements

Rolls-Royce begins work on new Raynesway factory to build reactors for submarines

WORK has officially started on Rolls-Royce’s new submarine reactor factory.

Yesterday, Vice Admiral Sir Andrew Mathews, the Royal Navy’s chief of fleet, conducted a ground-breaking ceremony at the company’s marine power site in Raynesway.

4582863

 

The multi-million-pound Core Manufacturing Facility will replace existing production buildings at the site. It will produce reactor fuel cores for UK submarines and will support 300 Derby jobs.

Vice Admiral Sir Andrew Mathews leads the ground-breaking ceremony at the site of the new Rolls-Royce factory that will build reactors for the UK sub fleet.

Vice Admiral Sir Andrew Mathews leads the ground-breaking ceremony at the site of the new Rolls-Royce factory that will build reactors for the UK sub fleet.

The building is part of a phased revamp of the Raynesway site, which will take place over the next decade.

Sir Andrew said: “Rolls-Royce has played a vital role in supporting the Royal Navy’s nuclear submarine propulsion programme for over 50 years.

“This significant investment to regenerate the facility, to build our nuclear reactor cores, will ensure that the site continues to do so for decades to come.”

Jason Smith, president of submarines and chief operating officer for nuclear, said: “We are pleased to begin construction of this important facility, which will use the most advanced manufacturing techniques to enhance our world-leading nuclear manufacturing capability.

“The investment in this facility demonstrates the high level of trust that the Ministry of Defence has in both our technology and the expertise of our highly skilled workforce.”

Rolls-Royce is investing £500 million to regenerate its Raynesway site after striking a huge £1.1 billion deal last year to build submarine reactors for the MoD.

A further £600 million is being used to develop two submarine reactors.

One of the engines will be used to power a seventh Astute Class attack submarine and one will be for the first of the next generation of nuclear-deterrent submarines – the Vanguard, which can deploy Trident ballistic missiles carrying nuclear warheads.

They will replace the four existing Vanguards, the first of which is due to leave service in 2022.

The Government has said that a final decision on renewing the Trident missile system would not be made until 2016 – but long lead times meant that work on the project needs to start now.

Last week, Rolls-Royce signed a 10-year “foundation contract” with the MoD, worth £800 million.

It is aimed at delivering and supporting the UK’s nuclear submarine fleet.

The contract covers the overheads, running and business costs at Rolls-Royce’s submarines sites.

Source – This is Derbyshire

 

Lebanon claims Israeli submarines spotted near coast

Naval fleet reportedly patrolling from Nakura as far north as Sidon

Illustrative photo of an Israeli Navy Dolphin class submarine off the coast of Haifa. (photo credit: Moshe Shai/Flash90)

Illustrative photo of an Israeli Navy Dolphin class submarine off the coast of Haifa. (photo credit: Moshe Shai/Flash90)

French UNIFIL forces in southern Lebanon said they saw the Israeli subs on several days, traveling from Nakura past Tyre and as far north as Sidon, the Israeli newspaper Maariv reported Monday, citing Lebanese news site Addiyar Online.

The report said the UN had been apprised of the Israeli movement, but Hezbollah had not received word of it.

In recent weeks, Lebanon several times accused Israel of violating Lebanese airspace by sending “spy” drones on overflights and conducting mock sorties.

Israel has not responded to the allegations.

In late January, US officials told The New York Times that Israel had notified the United States about an airstrike it carried out near the Lebanese-Syrian border. The officials said that they believed the target of the strike was a convoy carrying sophisticated anti-aircraft weaponry intended to reach Hezbollah forces in Lebanon.

An unnamed Western official told The Wall Street Journal that the convoy was carrying sophisticated Russian-made SA-17 anti-aircraft weapons, which could constitute a strategic game-changer were Hezbollah to possess them.

A former Syrian general said later that week that the facility reportedly struck by Israel produced nonconventional weapons, in addition to conventional arms. Maj. Gen. Adnan Sillu was previously in charge of the country’s chemical weapons training program.

Israel never officially commented on the alleged air raid.

On Saturday, Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah warned of a very harsh response should Israel choose to attack Lebanon.

“The Islamic resistance won’t keep mum on any Israeli attack on Lebanon,” Nasrallah said, adding that Hezbollah would not need to transfer any weapons from Syria to retaliate. “The resistance in Lebanon possesses all the necessary equipment.”

Source – The Times of Israel